Besides the 4-year programs, HKUST offers the following opportunities for students to study at HKUST for a short period of time.
Undergraduate Visiting Internship Students (Research Only)
- Undergraduate students from institutions outside Hong Kong who wish to spend one to six months at HKUST to fulfill their directed research or internship assignment, which is part of their normal program of study at their home institution, may apply for admissions to HKUST as Undergraduate Visiting Internship Student (UGVIS). As a full-time student of HKUST, they would enroll in a special one-credit project course. They would neither be allowed to register for any other courses nor enroll in any specific programs.
Undergraduate Visiting Students (Coursework Only)
- Alternatively, undergraduate students from institutions outside Hong Kong wishing to take taught undergraduate courses at HKUST on a short-term basis may seek enrolment as Undergraduate Visiting Student (UGVS).
Application Procedure for UG Visiting Students or UG Visiting Internship Student
Step 1 – Evaluate your eligibility for admissions
Please refer to “Entry Requirement” below and see if you are eligible for admissions.
Step 2 – Submit an application
Submit online application
You first create an account in the HKUST Online Application System. On the application system, you can submit ONE application for admission in any one academic term.
Your application should include:
- A completed online application form
- Copies of official transcripts and testimonials / official certified true copies
- Copies of national ID card and/or travel document (must upload Hong Kong ID card copy and Hong Kong Visa/Entry Permit copy, if available)
- Signed “Support from Home University / Institution” Form
Application must be submitted with the HK$450 application fee to be considered. Application fee should be paid by credit card (online).
Step 3 – Receive an offer and join HKUST
Applicants of Undergraduate Visiting Students (UGVS) will receive the offer status via email by late June / November, whereas results will be announced within one month after submission of a full application for Undergraduate Visiting Internship Students (UGVIS).
An applicant applying to be a UG Visiting Student should
An applicant applying to be a UG Visiting Intern should
|Proficiency Test||Minimum Scores|
|ACT||A score of 23 or above in both ACT English and ACT Reading|
|All India Senior School Certificate or Indian School Certificate Standard XII English||75%|
|American College Board Advanced Placement (AP)||English Language and Composition Score: 4|
English Literature and Composition Score: 4
|American College Board SAT||For SAT: Score 590 in the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing.|
For SAT Reasoning (Pre-March 2016): Score 8 in the Essay.
|Australian State or Territory High School Certificate Grade 12 English||80% or equivalent|
|Canadian Grade 12 English Courses||70% or equivalent in the following:|
- Academic English ENG621 (Prince Edward Island)
- English 12 (British Columbia, Yukon and Nova Scotia)
- English 121 or 122 (New Brunswick)
- English 3201 (Newfoundland and Labrador)
- English 40S (Manitoba)
- English 4U (Ontario)
- English A30 and English B30 (Saskatchewan)
- English Language Arts 30-1 or English 30 (Alberta, NWT, Nunavut)
|Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)||Grade C|
|French Baccalaureate (OIB- British, American Options) English subject||Score: 12|
|GCE AS or A-Level English / English Literature||Grade E|
|HKALE Use of English||Grade E|
|HKDSE English||Level 3|
|IB||IB English A: Language and Literature (Higher or Standard Level) - Grade 4|
IB English A: Literature (Higher or Standard Level) - Grade 4
IB English Literature and Performance (Standard Level) - Grade 4
IB English B (Higher Level) - Grade 4
IB English B (Standard Level) - Grade 5
(International English Language Testing System)
|Overall Band: 6.0|
|IGCSE/GCSE/GCE O-Level||Prior to Summer 2017|
English Language / English Literature - Grade C
English (Second Language) - Grade B
For sitting in Summer 2017 and thereafter
English Language / English Literature - Grade 4
English (Second Language) - Grade 5
|Malaysia SPM English Language 1119: GCE O-Level||Grade C|
|Malaysian University English Test (MUET)||Band 4 (Aggregate score: 180 – 219)|
|National Qualifications Framework of New Zealand||10 credits at Level 2 or above in subjects on English, with 5 credits in Reading, and 5 credits in Writing.|
(Literacy credits of subjects on English are available on the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) website.)
|Singapore-Cambridge GCE O-Level English Language||Grade C6|
|Singapore Integrated Programme Secondary 4 English Language/Language Arts||Grade C|
|Taiwan General Scholastic Ability Test (GSAT)||English Subject Score:|
頂標 (Top Percentile) of the cohort
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)||Option 1: Internet-based test (iBT) - Total Score (in one sitting): 80|
Option 2: Paper-delivered Test - Combined Score: 60